Re: FTP problem?

From: WWW server manager <webadm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 09:16:23 +0100 (BST)

Bill Wichers wrote:

> I have a little question I'm going to through in here:
>
> When an FTP object is corrupt in a cache somewhere, how do you go about
> refreshing it? You can't click "reload" on an FTP object (lets assume it's
> a .zip archive or a tar file -- something that can't be read directly by
> the browser). This is a problem I've encountered from time to time...

This was discussed recently, and there's now a new Squid FAQ entry (section
7.5, *not* the section mentioned in the mailing list archive - must have
been reorganised since then). That needs a bit of configuration to allow it
(via cachemgr) and apparently needs Squid 1.1.11 or later to allow you to
purge non-HTTP objects.

An alternative if you have version 2.5 or later of the lynx browser is to do

   lynx -reload ftp://where.ever/what.ever

The -reload option includes Pragma: no-cache with the request, so the cache
(and any parent caches, which could be the source of a corrupted
document...) should ignore the cached copy and fetch a new one (and lynx is
quite happy for the startup document to be an FTP URL to a document of a
type which cannot be displayed - it should just give it's use
download/cancel prompt).

[The -reload option to lynx only affects the startup document; presumably
added either for convenience in cases like this, or to cope with the case
where your normal startup document was corrupted so badly in the cache that
it couldn't be loaded so you couldn't just do a reload after it loaded...]

                                John Line

--
University of Cambridge WWW manager account (usually John Line)
Send general WWW-related enquiries to webmaster@ucs.cam.ac.uk