Re: diskstriping or muliple cachedirs

From: Keith Heinemann <khman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:36:17 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi,
>
> I am planning to run Squid on a FreeBSD machine. The machine
> will have 2 or 3 equal 9G disks.
>
> Ik was wondering wether it would be better to spread the
> cachedirs over the disks or tripe the disks and have one
> cachedir on the concated disk.
>
> Has anyone experience in this?
>
> Thanks,
> - hans

I would imagine that striping from the OS level would lead to superior
performance. My understanding is that squid just stores different objects
in different dirs, regardless of which file system they are on. Thus a
20mb copy of IE402 would only be saved to one disk, instead of
distributing the load. Of course it might be true that the OS could
better deliver multiple objects simultaneously if it were fetching them
from different filesystem. I would personally stripe them, but then I
like stripes.

                        -keith