Re: idea for making better the binary tree code for ACL's

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:38:06 +0200

Hi

> What if you were to compress the url?

Note that you are talking about optimising a specific case of
the ACL code... as far as I know the binary tree system doesn't
do that...

> What if you were to use a dictionary based off of thousands
> of random url's, store this dictionary staticly in the code, and
> use this dictionary to compress the url before storing it?
Use a hash table... create a hash of each site that you want
to block, and then create an ACL specifically when you want to
block all sites. As far as I know the current ACL code (for the
block-by-destination case) blocks all sites based on calling
a regex check... if you split the sitename on a '/' and
took just the hostname, you could then check it against a hash
tree very efficiently.

Oskar