Re: Cisco Cache Director (Was RE: Does Squid beat the rest? )

From: Andrew Cormack <Cormack@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:15:33 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> Does it sound like a good idea?

If all the pages for a remote site are concentrated on one cache server,
without replication, then the loss of a cache means that a whole site (or
region) becomes un-cached. I haven't worked out whether this is a more or
less acceptable mode of failure than the normal cache farm where the
effect of a single machine failure is seen lightly on sites all over the
net ? Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences of users' reaction to
this ?

Andrew

       | Andrew Cormack               | email: cormack@cardiff.ac.uk     |
       | Information Systems Support, | snail: 40/41 Park Place, Cardiff |
       |    postmaster and webmaster  |        CF1 3BB                   |
       | University of Wales, Cardiff |                                  |
       | Web page and PGP key: http://www.cf.ac.uk/People/cormack.html   |