Re: Cisco Cache Director (Was RE: Does Squid beat the rest? )

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:50:55 +0200

Hi

> If all the pages for a remote site are concentrated on one cache server,
> without replication, then the loss of a cache means that a whole site (or
> region) becomes un-cached. I haven't worked out whether this is a more or
But this isn't really a problem... if the cache is randomly distributed.

if you calculate the hash on the entire URL, including the /dir/file.html
bit, you will end up with sites being completely scattered, and the loss
of a cache will effect all sites very slightly, rather than one specific
site

> less acceptable mode of failure than the normal cache farm where the
> effect of a single machine failure is seen lightly on sites all over the
> net ? Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences of users' reaction to
> this ?
It won't be a problem - I think.

Oskar