proposed (minor) changes in squid

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 09:37:42 +0100

2 (minor) proposals for changes in squid:

1) Accept hostnames with '_'
2) ICP hits for stale (icp_hit_stale on) only for some sites.

1) Squid checks the hostname for ileagal characters (which is good) but I've
found some sites not conforming to the RFC's and using underscores in the
hostname. These sites produce an error. (It's nice to be conform to the
standards but when others don't you are lost.)

I propose a change in the code:

In function "request_t *urlParse(method_t method, char *url)"

   for (t = host; *t; t++)
        *t = tolower(*t);
    l = strspn(host,
        "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
        "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
        "0123456789-.");

Change this into:

   for (t = host; *t; t++)
        *t = tolower(*t);
    l = strspn(host,
        "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
        "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
        "0123456789-._");

It might also be usefull to make this configurable (compile-time is fine
with me)

2) It would be very usefull to be able to restic ICP-Hits to specific hosts
and send to the others only UDP_HIT for fresh files.
An ACL might be very nice.
We are hapy users of this icp_hit_stale feature because it increased the
performance of our siblibing relations a lot but some siblings are a bit
more "expensive" and I would like to be able to exclude them from "stale-hits"

Cheers, Marc
Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
E-Mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm