Re: Transparent Proxy

From: Dave Zarzycki <zarzycki@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 97 20:18:16 -0700

On 10/8/97 6:20 PM, Aleksandr Huson (god@resurrection.com) wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a transparent http proxy by running squid on a
>separate server, routing everythin through that server, and using ipfwadm
>with transparent proxying to redirect everything that comes in on port 80
>to port 8080 (where i have squid running). When i have a client on this
>setup... and i try and call up and external site... i get an error from
>squid saying invalid url syntax... if i use an ip address to call up an
>external site sometimes it works. My guess is that if netscape doesn't
>think its going throught a server then it separates the server from the
>location in the url then tries to contact the server itself... which means
>that squid is only getting the location bit... but not the server bit...
>Am i right?? and does anyone know a way around this, or a better way i can
>proxy http transparently???

Since you mentioned ipfwadm, I will assume that you are using Linux.

What kernel are you running?
What software package are you using to redirect the connection to the
foreign machine? (Yes the kernel does the redirecting work, but only to a
local port, what is the software that listens on that port and forwards
the request?)

davez

Dave Zarzycki Student
Workgroup Server QA Tester San Jose State University
Apple Computer, Inc. zarzycki@ricochet.net
zarzycki@apple.com dave@zarzycki.ml.org

PGP Fingerprints:
DSS/Diffie-Hellman: CB9E 2621 B4BA 3F96 3516 B312 15B4 D842 3809 EF99
RSA: 8AF2 1040 8A9C D025 47BE 70DD A51C C887

Contact pgpkeys.mit.edu for my public keys.