Transparent Proxy

From: Aleksandr Huson <god@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 11:20:56 +1000

Hi,

        I'm trying to set up a transparent http proxy by running squid on a separate server, routing everythin through that server, and using ipfwadm with transparent proxying to redirect everything that comes in on port 80 to port 8080 (where i have squid running). When i have a client on this setup... and i try and call up and external site... i get an error from squid saying invalid url syntax... if i use an ip address to call up an external site sometimes it works. My guess is that if netscape doesn't think its going throught a server then it separates the server from the location in the url then tries to contact the server itself... which means that squid is only getting the location bit... but not the server bit... Am i right?? and does anyone know a way around this, or a better way i can proxy http transparently???

any help would be much appreciated

| Aleksandr Huson <bd@webexpress.net.au> |
| |
| Technical Manager Voice: +61 7 3285 3299 |
| Web Express Internet Fax: +61 7 3285 7433 |
| http://www.webexpress.net.au/ |
| PO Box 127, Petrie, QLD, 4502, Australia |