Re: Symantec LiveUpdate breaks squid.

From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 23:01:14 -0400 (EDT)

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> It is defenitely not a bug. It is defined by HTTP. The specification
> rougthly says that each path component (that is between the /'es) should
> be interpreated as a CWD command. So given the URL
> ftp://cust-read:Rcus-01#@update.symantec.com/where/ever/ the
> interpretation is
>
> Open FTP connection to update.symantec.com
> USER cust-read
> PASS Rcus-01#
> CWD where
> CWD ever
> LIST (since it ends in /)

Then ftpget is not handling it correctly. Using debug mode, it does
something like this:

Open FTP connection to update.symantec.com
USER cust-read
PASS Rcus-01#
RETR opt/content/onramp/livetri.zip

Nowhere in here is a CWD. Since the working directory is not '/', the
RETR fails. To me, this is not correct behavior. If ftpget is not going
to do CWDs for this request, then it should honor the full path given
right?

So ftpget should do this:

Open FTP connection to update.symantec.com
USER cust-read
PASS Rcus-01#
CWD opt
CWD content
CWD onramp
RETR livetri.zip

or:
Open FTP connection to update.symantec.com
USER cust-read
PASS Rcus-01#
RETR /opt/content/onramp/livetri.zip

IMHO any other behavior is a bug.

-Andrew

Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.