Re: TCP_IMS_MISS

From: Gregory Maxwell <nullc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:31:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Steve Campbell wrote:

> I seem to get almost no tcp_ims_misses no matter what my refresh
> pattern is. I read the description in the release notes and it seems
> like this should happen often. I get a lot of tcp_ims-hits.
>
> Anybody know how this works?

tcp_ims_misses happen when squid had checked, and the object HAS changed.
Ims_hits happen when squid checks and the object hasn't changed..

You are lucky if you get few misses.. The Reason there are so many for
most people is because there are many broken webservers who always report
that the objects have been modified.. This stupid broken behavior
benifites no one (excpet those who charge for bandwidth by the byte), as
the IMS request is enough to generate an entry in the access logs..