RE: ICP proxy for Firewall

From: Larmour, Jonathan <Jonathan.Larmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 12:48:26 +0100

[] The point with UDP is in fact that it is connectionless, i.e. there
is no connection to know the state of! There are programs that can do
this (udprelay) but only to one specific host (although you could use
different UDP ports on the firewall to do different hosts). In practice,
this isn't really the way to go.

>4) Have an internal proxy which takes care of the "routing"

This sounds like the best approach to me. However I would have it the
other way round to what you imply, and have the real "big" proxy on the
inside, and just a little squid on the outside to field the ICP. This
little squid would be "default no-query". The reason is that the more
traffic that passes through the firewall, the more stuff is parsed by
the firewall software (http-gw?), and this has to be done for every
request, even the cached ones.

So it is much quicker for the user if it is done this way round.

Jonathan L.