Re: Logging full headers

From: Kevin Fink <kevin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:27:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Steve Campbell wrote:

> I'd like to use the LOG_FULL_MIME_HEADERS configuration, but to keep
> the access.log size a little more reasonable I'd like to leave out
> the request header. Does anybody see any problem with changing this
> line in stat.c:

Be very careful with the LOG_FULL_MIME_HEADERS configuration. The primary
problem is that it uses some string library functions but the data it
operates on isn't guaranteed to follow the rules (in particular, it often
isn't terminated by a \0). I assume that the effect of this will depend
on your string library. On mine, it causes lots of segmentation faults...
:-(

Linux 2.027 - 2.030
libc5.4.20 (or thereabouts - doubt the string code changes much anyway)

My code is hacked to oblivion and my changes are really ugly, so I am too
embarrassed to offer it up as a patch. Knowing what to look for should be
a big help to a real programmer, though... :-)

Kevin

 Kevin Fink <kevin@fink.com> N2H2, Creators of Bess
 http://www.fink.com/ 1301 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1501
 http://www.n2h2.com/ Seattle, WA 98101
 (206) 971-1400 VOICE (206) 971-1460 FAX (206) 680-7666 PAGER