Re: Optimum HD space.

From: Henny Bekker <henny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 03:29:35 +0100 (MET)

Hi Michael,

> I am in the process of building a new Squid proxy server, and was
>hoping to get some idea of the optium amount of Hard drive space for a
>Pentium Pro 200 with 256 megs of ram. Is their some sort of formula for
>determining how much hard drive space would be best. Is it simply a case
>of more is better, or should the total hard disk space be determined by
>the available ram, or vise versa ? In any case, i am limited with this
>particular mother board to 256megs of ram.

You absolutely have to prevent the system from swappping.. The main RAM
consumer is the index of the objects in cache.. Squid uses approximately
64-Bytes of RAM for every object it holds in cache.. When your cache is
growing, your memory consumption will rize..

I'm using the next formule to calculate the maximum size of cache_swap.
D = 60 * (M - S - H)
M = The total avaliable RAM
S = The size of the RAM consumed by the system and other system program's
H = The size of the HOT-cache (cache_mem)

For the Utrecht University Cache (a Sun Sparcstation-4 with 160-MByte RAM)
we have a cache_swap size of circa 6-GByte..

Cheers, Henny

E-Mail: Henny.Bekker@cc.ruu.nl    ! Disclaimer: The main obstacle to progress
http    http://www.ruu.nl/~henny  !             progress is not ignorance,but
PTT:    Voice: +31 30 2536971 Fax: +31 30 2531633 ! the illusion of knowledge
X400:   /G=Henny/S=Bekker/OU=cc/O=ruu/PRMD=surf/ADMD=400net/C=nl         o
Paper:  H.J.Bekker, Utrecht University, Computer Centre              _  /- _
        Po Box 80011, 3508 TA  Utrecht  Nederland                   (_) > (_)