TIME_WAIT on heavly loaded Squid on linux

From: Alvin Starr <alvin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 07:20:39 -0500 (EST)

I noticed that when I beat on squid with echoping. The squid server would
stop accpting connections. This seemed related to the a large number of
connections that were left in a TIME_WAIT state.

I hacked a set of lingering close changes from apache into the comm_close
code and this seems to solve the problem. The only drawback is that the
times from echoping are about 10% slower. I believe that this is due to
the fact that a close may now be held-off for up to 2 seconds.

Has anybody else seen this problem and found a solution?

Alvin Starr || voice: (416)493-3325
Interlink Connectivity || fax: (416)493-7974
alvin@iplink.net ||