Re: Redirecting squid requests through an anti-virus proxy

From: Michael Geiger <Michael.Geiger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 13:20:18 +0100

Von: Michael Geiger@PHAG am 04.11.97 13:20

An: leigh@wisper.net, mib@ppe.bb-data.de
Kopie: squid-users@nlanr.net
Thema: Re: Redirecting squid requests through an anti-virus proxy

> Can't you just turn things around?
>
> /> parent1
> User's browser -> antivirus -> squid -> parent2
> \> parent3
>
> The disadvantage is, of course, that pages served from the cache are
> scanned each time they are served to a user, not once when they enter
> the cache.

That's one problem - on the other side I use the acl's to control internet
access and analyze the access.log to calculate the individual usage.

> > parent1\
> > parent2->antivirus
> > parent3/
> >
> > So each page will be scanned once only, then cached for the users.
>
> Only possible if you control all neighbours. If you use your ISP's cache
> or your buddy's squid box as a neighbour (as I should rather have said
> in the first place), you lose.
This is my problem ... :-(

I would prefer the following:

user +-------------------+ parent
     \ | Squid | /
user -> -> ---+ +--- -> - parent
     / | | | | \
user +-|---------------|-+ parent
              | |
              | |
              +-> antivirus >-+

My idea is to configure squid this way:
The cache_host_acl tells squid to use the antivirus proxy for user
requests, and the antivirus uses squid as parent. For antivirus requests
squid should use the "real" parents and neighbors.
Unfortunately I must force squid to use the antivirus parent (with the
firewall tag), but for the antivirus requests squid should not be forced
to use a parent or neighbor and it must not cache the data!

---
Michael Geiger                    EMail: Michael.Geiger@hartmann-online.de
Abteilung EDV                     Tel. :                +49 7321 / 36-1157
PAUL HARTMANN AG                  Fax  :                +49 7321 / 36-2157