RE: Redundancy

From: Armistead, Jason <ARMISTEJ@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 19:02:00 -0500

Hi there

I've been watching the "redundancy" e-mails fly across the list. Here
is my $0.02.

Now, if you want REAL redundancy, then maybe an OpenVMS port of Squid
would be useful. The supplied TCP/IP stack on new AlphaServers is
Digital's UCX, which can support "cluster aliasing" of IP addresses.
i.e. many machines share one IP address. There are two modes, the first
is round-robin, kind of like DNS, but it's decided on purely by the
machines, so the clients remain blissfully unaware, and the second is a
load-balanced implementation, where the computed load metric determines
which machine is assigned the control of the cluster IP address.

If Squid could be ported to OpenVMS (hey, it does use pretty standard C
constructs, doesn't it), then it might be doable. Just make each
machine point to the other as a sibling, so that hit rate is maximised,
even with two different cache directories. Then give users the cluster
IP alias to point to.

This works great on my OSU-DECthreads VMS web server, across two
AlphaServers. We can bring it down at any time and no-one even has to
know. That's what I call redundancy indeed !!! It's also one of the
reasons that banks etc like OpenVMS for 24*365 mission critical
applications.

Anyone else interested in a VMS port perchance ? I've seen at least one
person who indicated some interest a while back. Please let me know .

Regards

Jason Armistead
armistej@oeca.otis.com