RE: Redundancy

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:11:08 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Armistead, Jason wrote:

> know. That's what I call redundancy indeed !!! It's also one of the
> reasons that banks etc like OpenVMS for 24*365 mission critical
> applications.

Without trying to start an OS war, I just couldn't let this one by without
saying something - yes, OpenVMS is pretty good for "mission critical" apps
(then again, many banks would say IBM's AS/400 systems are likewise pretty
good) ... but it doesn't mean UNIX *isn't* stable. :-)

Our proxy (Solaris 2.5.1) stays running 'cept when I reboot/restart either
the process or the machine - I'd venture that many other sites see
similar stability (yeah, I know in some environments it can be a bit
iffy).

FWIW, whilst I have no immediate need for an OpenVMS port of Squid, I'd
like to see it happen anyway (didn't someone do an OS/2 port?) - the more
platforms it covers, the better IMHO.

Cheers..

dave