Re: Redundancy - why not do it on Unix?

From: Bruce Campbell <bc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 12:15:53 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, David Luyer wrote:

> You could protect from this by doing something like it on unix...
[snip]
> * setup a machine with an IP alias of your main cache machine somehow
> modified so it is slow at responding to ARP requests, or make a job
> insert the IP alias only when the other cache is detected as being down.

Dunno about you, but my routers take at least a minute to notice a new
IP->ARP mapping, and by then squid has restarted anyway.

If you are going to run multiple caches, run something like a small proxy
only cache that uses ICP to figure out which are caches are reliable
(recompile with minimal logging?) , or have your own concocted stream
switching thing ( cron + plug-gw ;) ) - Dancer's sparent seems to do the
trick.

--==--
Bruce.

I am the God of Hellfire, and I bring you..
             FIRE, I'll teach you to burn;
             Fire, I'll teach you to learn;