Re: Redundancy

From: Daniel Schroder <daniel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:34:14 +0000 (GMT)

  Yes , I sometimes have the same
  problem. I solution would be to
  add an use the ip belonging to
  the domain (cache.whatever) on the
  two servers as an alias , and to
  remove it off the one server , and
  to set up on the second server
  /sbin/ifconfig eth0:0 ipaddress.

  There are things like clashes , and getting
  the ciscos to refresh and so forth ,
  but it might be a solution when redundancy
  is an issue. I find the problem is when clients
  run there own cache only dns servers , and having
  two top level domains with an six hour (default I think)
  refresh rate , might be an idea to set it down to an hour
  seeing they are on there the same network.

  Also , I saw an psoting earlier about someone who
  wrote the code to simply listen on the port , see if the
  cache is up , otherwise do direct query , I'm very interested ,
  otherwise , do you ppl find automatic proxie does not give problems ?

  Hope this adds to the thread , love to write more
  but time is a factor :)

--Daniel Schroder
  Networld
  http://livewire.new.co.za (F) 419 3212