Restricting Users' Access

From: Squid <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 13:35:32 -0800

Greetings,

We are running squid here inside our firewall, and I have everything
working happily. I've decided
to prevent users (outside Info. Systems and Software Development) from
downloading .zip, .exe, etc... files because we have had so many
problems with users corrupting their own machines.

The problem is management wants to restrict certain other kinds of
content, and while I can do it in access lists
it seems to slow down internet access significantly. Is there any way to
avoid this?

Also, I would occasionaly like to grant access to certain non-IT
employees to download pdf files that have been
zipped, etc. I'm having troubles figuring out the best solution, ideally
I'd like to issue them a temporary "key" that would allow them to access
certain files type for say 30 minutes. This way my IT staff doesn't have
to download and transfer files for
users that have a legitimate need.

Any ideas on how to do this?

TIA,