Re: Restricting Users' Access

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 23:11:30 +0100

Sounds like a prefect job for proxy authentication. Require these
objects to be authorized using proxy authentication, and add the
temporary key to this passwordfile while the user is allowed to start
"bad" requests (and remove it when his time is out). See squid.conf (you
possibly need a newer verion of squid, perhaps even 1.2) for info on how
to use proxy authentication.

The maintaince of the password file is entirely up to you but here are
some examples... [perl -e 'open(OUT,">>passwdfile");print OUT
"lance:".crypt("secret","xx")."\n";close(OUT);'] adds user lance with
password secret. [grep -v "^lance:" passwdfile | sort -o passwdfile]
removes the user...

Squid checks if the file is updated every 5 minutes by default (see
earlier posting on how to get around this)

---
Henrik Nordström