Re: Cached information

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 15:52:50 -0500 (EST)

Aside from the period when Squid freezes connections while it rotates the
log files, it shouldn't "crash". I have some Squid boxes that have been up
since August and they rotate logs everynight. Just be sure you are sending
the right signal to Squid (USR1).

I have one BSDI machine where I can't seem to keep Squid from crashing
when it rotates the logs. It crashes *almost* every time it rotates the
logs (don't you just hate things that are "almost" consistent?). All my
other caches are Linux machines are run fine.

I suppose it would be possible to just copy the access.log somewhere while
squid was running and then analyze it, thus never asking squid to rotate
the logs. A script could be written to determine where the previous day's
logs end and the current day's begin. I suspect that this might have some
negative effects on Squid though.

        -Bill