Re: Parent or not to Parent

From: Donovan Baarda <abo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:57:37 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Shane Anderson wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I've been running various versions of Squid here for a small group of
> 20 or so PC's. Nothing major. We're connected with a 28.8 modem so
> squid sure helps a lot. (We get between 40% and 60% hit rates too.)
> Anyways, my service provider runs Squid and I've just set it up as my
> parent. But I'm wondering if it's worth it?
>
> Does the ICP traffic going over the modem actually make things worse?
> Since either way the web site data comes in, why bother with ICP?

You can use another site as a parent without using ICP, just use "no-query
default" or "single_parent_bypass on". The only benefits of using ICP is
you get stats on parent hits and misses in your log, and maybe better
recovery if the parent is un-reliable.

> And I was wondering if it would maybe be better to get from the
> parent only if it was in the parent cache, otherwise go direct.
> Sortof a hybrid arrangment.

This would require using ICP to check the parent, adding the parent RTT
to each cache miss. In general it is good to fetch from the parent (in
your type of situation) regardless of hit or miss.

ABO
finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key