Re: Parent or not to Parent

From: Shane Anderson <shane@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 17:03:35 -0500

> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I've been running various versions of Squid here for a small group of
> > 20 or so PC's. Nothing major. We're connected with a 28.8 modem so
> > squid sure helps a lot. (We get between 40% and 60% hit rates too.)
> > Anyways, my service provider runs Squid and I've just set it up as my
> > parent. But I'm wondering if it's worth it?
> >
> > Does the ICP traffic going over the modem actually make things worse?
> > Since either way the web site data comes in, why bother with ICP?
> >
> You can use another site as a parent without using ICP, just use "no-query
> default" or "single_parent_bypass on". The only benefits of using ICP is
> you get stats on parent hits and misses in your log, and maybe better
> recovery if the parent is un-reliable.
>
> > And I was wondering if it would maybe be better to get from the
> > parent only if it was in the parent cache, otherwise go direct.
> > Sortof a hybrid arrangment.
> >
> This would require using ICP to check the parent, adding the parent RTT
> to each cache miss. In general it is good to fetch from the parent (in
> your type of situation) regardless of hit or miss.

> ABO

Thanks, just what I was looking for. I had actually read the
description of single parent bypass, but it must of just gone right
over my head. Thanks for the info. I feel much better now. :)
-= Shane Anderson ======== Infrared Solutions, Inc. =-
-= shane@nve.com =============== (612) 551-0003 x29 =-