Re: Transparent proxy cache with squid and NATD.

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 10:08:46 +0200

Hi

> I think I'm having a bit of a conceptual loss here...It seems to me that if
> you just pick up HTTP, traffic, you have something that looks like
>
> GET /
>
> If you pick up this TCP message and push it off on a squid server, you
> will have no idea where this request is being made to. How does the xlation
> process end up preserving the information (in the header, whatever) of what
> you're actually requesting?
(with BSD) You basically do a function call to the TCP stack to see what the
original IP address you accepted the connection on. Squid
would then translate that to 'GET http://ip-accepted-on/path/file'

Squid works fine under linux if you use the 'httpd_accel virtual 80'
option in your squid.conf, but I think that BSD does it differently...
there was a patch posted a short while (a month, I guess) ago...

Oskar

--
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -