Re: Balancing

From: Mark Cooke <mpc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 16:12:18 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Francis Mouthaud wrote:

> I have a little network of squid caches and I would like the main proxy to
> use one proxy for one domain.
>
> Let's say : france.freenet.fr for access to *.fr domains
> and : usa.freenet.fr for access to *.us *.edu (etc.)
> domains
>
> I do this on my main proxy :
>
> cache_host france.freenet.fr parent 8080 3130 proxy-only
> cache_host usa.freenet.fr parent 8080 3130 proxy-only
>
> cache_host_domain france.freenet.fr .fr !.com !.net !.gov !.edu !.us
> cache_host_domain usa.freenet.fr .com .net .gov .edu .us !.fr
>
> neighbor_type_domain usa.freenet.fr parent .com .net .gov .edu .us
> neighbor_type_domain france.freenet.fr parent .fr
>
> Now the questions :
>
> 1) am I right ?

The processing of the cache_host_domain lines is 'any match will do' (I
believe).

Hence, something like 123.com will match !.net, and france.frenet.fr will
be queried. The use.freenet.fr line will match any domain other than .fr
(as 123.xyz passes !.fr).

In effect, the first line matches any site.
The second anything but .fr

> neighbor_type_domain usa.freenet.fr parent .com .net .gov .edu .us
> neighbor_type_domain france.freenet.fr parent .fr

Not sure if the options here override the proxy-only option. You didn't
specify your requirements for storing local copies of retrieved data. What
you could(should?) do is use the sibling option for your main cache_host
lines, and override that here.

> 3) my usa.freenet.fr is connected to the net by satellite, it's very cool
> for downloads, but the ping is 600ms at least... how to tell this to
> squid?

Set the timeout slightly higher if you're getting timeouts before the usa
host responds. Check the logs for this.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Cooke The views expressed above are mine and are not
Systems Programmer necessarily representative of university policy
University Of Birmingham URL: http://www.sr.bham.ac.uk/~mpc/