Re: Actual sizes (Was: CCD striping on FreeBSD & Squid)

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:23:04 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Yar Tikhiy wrote:

> And "store_avg_object_size" must be an estimation of
> the average object size (i.e. swap_size/"number of objects")
> as it is used to initialize Squid's object hash table
> where _every_ cached object has an entry (see src/store.c),

I agree with that! However, the question is what one should use as a
measure for average (mean or median), and what that average should be
based on (transfer sizes or cached object sizes). Seems like the best
choice is the median cached object size (about 3K). By specifying a 20K
value, one probably underestimate the real memory requirements. That is,
there may be less buckets than there should be.

A simple test that could test my point is to count the number of objects
in your cache and compare it with the
"current swap size"/avg_object_size estimation.

Alex.