two squid's, two net connections.

From: James McOrmond <jam@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 01:46:41 -0500 (EST)

essentially the story is this.

I've got two gateway machines, one on each network connection (one slow, one fast).

I want users connecting to the squid on the slow machine, to have everything forwarded
to the faster squid, (other than specific local domains) if the faster connection is up.

If I use the inside_firewall stuff, it never goes direct. If I don't, it queries the other
squid, but goes direct if it's not there.

I had "default" on the cache_host line, but that wouldn't go direct either.

the faster squid, is always marked as parent in the cache_host line of the slower squid.

I now have "closest-only" with all the icmp stuff turned on (both systems), but it's
still not doing it.

Both machines are running Squid 1.1.18. and are connected via ethernet, so that has to
be the fastest route :-)

any ideas?

also, one minor thing. When requesting stuff from the slower squid (when I was using the
firewall stuff), it would forward the request to the faster squid, and then the faster squid
would do an extra query back to the slower one. Is there any way to avoid this extra query
when it's going to the system that did the request?

--
James A. McOrmond - AmigaOS and Linux Admin.
Jammys.Net Systems - Fidonet Gateway & UUCP feed provider, Ottawa, ON