Re: New disk storage scheme for improved performance

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 00:00:29 +0100 (CET)

Stewart Forster:

> Note that my argument applies to the later versions of squid that
>keep a stack of recently expired disk objects and re-use those same disk
>files by writing over the top of the old ones. If you are still using the

My patch disables this stack because it makes Squid use random file
numbers to store files and then you're back at the old scenario again. I
already discovered this during my first tests :-(.

>same ever-increasing swap file number allocation system then your patch
>WILL provide a sustained performance win.

The patch has been active for one day now and of course I'm also
interested in the long-term performance win.

> I would seem to me that even better disk performance could be had
>by analysing the frequency of hits against various objects and their
>corresponding sizes, and then provide some form of dynamic disk reorganisation
>and keep like performance objects together. This would mean better caching
>by the OS of frequently accessed directories.

Doesn't sound that easy to implement.

Arjan

--
Arjan de Vet, Eindhoven, The Netherlands            <Arjan.deVet@adv.IAEhv.nl>