RE: Transparent proxy probs...

From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:41:20 -0500

On Friday, November 21, 1997 10:38 AM, Adrian Bool [SMTP:aid@u-net.net]
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up a transparent http proxy - first to evaluate how
> bad it is ;-) Any experiances would be warmly recieved...
>
> Our data is passing thrugh a cisco router that I am policy routing
> to a Soalris 2.6 Sparc.

Just a note, I have observed a few problems with transparent proxies.
Because they can not use the name of the host, some sites break. There
was one in particular which used the same IP for two different web sites.
The web browser reported to the server what host it was going to, but
Squid wasn't forwarding these headers (i'm guessing they are in the
headers) ans so the user would always get the same web page over and
over.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : www.wserv.com/~jordy/