Re: Features

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:00:03 +1000

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> Havn't been on the squid lists for awhile. (Got unsubed automagicly a
> while back).. So I apoligise if any of this has been discussed before.
>
> Some ideas for 1.2:
>
> reload_into_ims for 1.1. This is really helpful for me... Many users are
> unwilling to take the reload button lightly.. It would be nice if this
> feature were further enhanced so that more then X reloads by client C in Y
> time-units will cause a reload (for servers with broken IMS).. This could
> taken even further, if there is Z reloads in Y time-units then for a
> direct (incase the hiearchy is stale).

I didn't _quite_ follow that...

> Also, options to ignore, or multiply http1.1 cach-control varibles would
> be great.. For small in house caches with SLOW connections this is a must
> (I've got my home refresh rules set to keep many file types for a week
> before IMSing, on the rare ocassion we are concerned about freshness we
> just hit reload to do a IMS).. Hard drives are cheap, T1s cost tons!

YESYESYESYESYES! There's not MUCH that I'd like to completely override...but
there are _some_ things.

> Compressed intercache compressions. I've made a lame hack of this for my
> home squid: I use ssh to setup a non-encrypted compressed pipe and use
> cache_host_acl to direct .html,.txt,.htm files through it.. This speeds of
> page loads GREATLY! This was one of the features I was working on when I
> was working on the cache for the Mnemonic browser. Both the gzip style and
> LZO type compression methods would work well here.. (Esp now with
> persistant connections, as the compressor will no longer get the 'hit' at
> the start)

(Dancer's jaw drops). Why the hell didn't _I_ think of doing that??
Damnit...I've got four squid's in dire need! Can I swipe a look at your setup?

> Improved object dumping rules: When squid runs out of disk swap space, it
> dumps the oldest loaded objects.. So if I have an object that gets loaded,
> gets lots of hits, and the IMS always says the object has not changed, it
> will be flushed out before an object that gets far less hits and comes up
> stale ever time there is an IMS... This is not good, esp for smaller
> caches... With the mnemonic cache I came up with a complicated formula for
> computing the goodness of objects.. But really, tossing objects that have
> the oldest and fewest HITS, rather then being the oldest..

The 500 point purity test for cache objects. Have you ever been modified?
Requested? Re-requested? DO you have a 'vary' header? Cache-control?

> In the mnemonic cache I also had decided on implimenting a 'blacklist'.
> A blacklisted object will be fetched proxy-only..
> Every time an object gets found stale when IMSing, (or gets purged because
> it has low goodness) the cache keeps track of that. If an object goes a
> while and the stale/good ratio is VERY poor (like reload every time) it
> gets added to blacklist.. The black list entry recordes the time it
> entered the blacklist and how many times rule has been hit.. The blacklist
> has a settable fixed size and purges out the low-hit old entries.. This
> prob. wouldn't be of much benifit to a decent sized cache, but on a under-
> sized cache it would mostlikely be of great benifit.. The cost of
> implimenting this should be tiny..
>
> If anyone is intrested in my Mnemonic cache document.. I'm sure I can dig
> it up.. It's a real mess (I wrote most of it while without sleep), but I
> think it's has some good ideas like the ones above.. It's mostly
> applicable to the small cache of a webbrowser, but some it's ideas could
> be useful in squid (though I might have already talked about the good ones
> above! :) )....
>
> :)

Note to evil sorcerers and mad scientists: don't ever, ever summon powerful
demons or rip holes in the fabric of space and time. It's never a good idea.
ICQ UIN: 3225440