Re: Features

From: Donovan Baarda <abo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:37:43 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Dancer wrote:

> > Compressed intercache compressions. I've made a lame hack of this for my
> > home squid: I use ssh to setup a non-encrypted compressed pipe and use
> > cache_host_acl to direct .html,.txt,.htm files through it.. This speeds of
> > page loads GREATLY! This was one of the features I was working on when I
> > was working on the cache for the Mnemonic browser. Both the gzip style and
> > LZO type compression methods would work well here.. (Esp now with
> > persistant connections, as the compressor will no longer get the 'hit' at
> > the start)
>
> (Dancer's jaw drops). Why the hell didn't _I_ think of doing that??
> Damnit...I've got four squid's in dire need! Can I swipe a look at your setup?

I've been thinking about compression and caches a bit lately.

Compression can have two useful effects;

1) reduce the storage space of the object in the cache.
2) reduce the bandwidth of inter-cache transfers.

A compressed file system gives you 1) but doesn't give you the benefit of
reduced memory usage that truely compressed objects would. Using ssh as
above gives you 2) but with a CPU hit. Using both gives you both but
wastes CPU in a major way (fs has to decompress object off disk, ssh has
to re-compress it to send it, remote ssh decompresses it, remote fs has to
re-compress it to disk).

If squid could be hacked to store and forward compressed objects, you
would get both benefits with reduced CPU overhead. Just an idea...

ABO