Squid 1.NOVM.18 & cachemgr vm_objects report

From: WWW server manager <webadm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 11:15:42 +0000 (GMT)

I was under the impression that with the NOVM version of Squid, the cachemgr
vm_objects report ought always to be empty, since nothing is being cached in
memory, and that if vm_objects were visible it was a hint that something was
not working properly. I don't recall seeing any vm_objects in the past
(earlier NOVM versions) except when there *was* a problem.

I just noticed that Squid 1.NOVM.18 (which has been running now for a couple
of weeks, on a SPARCserver 10/51 running Solaris 2.4) *is* showing
vm_objects (typically 10-20 of them) in the cachemgr report. Comparing
snapshots taken a few minutes apart, they aren't constant long-term as seen
with the "stuck file descriptor" which was occured with an earlier version,
they do seem to be there only "in passing", disappearing fairly quickly
(maybe visible only while the documents are being fetched).

Is this reasonable/expected behaviour for NOVM Squid (or more specifically,
1.NOVM.18? Is it a transitional stage towards Squid 1.2 where the
NOVM/normal distinction vanishes (if I've understood the plans correctly)?

                                John Line

--
University of Cambridge WWW manager account (usually John Line)
Send general WWW-related enquiries to webmaster@ucs.cam.ac.uk