Non-anonymous FTP - Problems when Password contains '#'

From: Martin Boening <boening.pad@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 97 11:32:38 MET

Hi there,

I don't know if this problem has been addressed before:

we have a user who wants to retrieve some Software via FTP from some
customer support server. He has a login with a password containing a hash.
This leeads to problems with squid's ftpget program on squid versions
1.1.14 as well as 1.1.16. The program seems to strip everything from the
hash (#) including the hash itself. This leads to the error message
'Invalid URL syntax'.

E.g., If I try, by way of a test, to access

   ftp://mboen:foo#bar@ftp.uu.net

I get
Error - the requested URL coul not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: ftp://mboen:foo

The following error was encountered:

  o Invalid URL syntax

etc. pp.

Generated by squid/1.1.16@bastion.pdb.sni.de

What can I do about this? Can I hack the URL parsing routines? Did someone
already?

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards
Martin Boening
Internet Administration Paderborn

--
Martin Boening, MB3792            | boening.pad@sni.de
SBS IP 17, Heinz-Nixdorf-Ring 1, D-33106 Paderborn, Germany