Re: object oriented Squid ?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:43:08 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Robert Barta wrote:

> I wonder whether one could build such a module concept like in Apache.
> Just to isolate the particular phases of a request and let modules
> like "neighbor selection", "authentication" step in.

That is exactly what should be done! If we have a stable "framework", one
could easely write and try many nice algorithms. A patch will become just
yet another class/module that gets compiled in. A config file will then
define a proper algorithm or a proper sequence of algorithms for current
use for each place where several options exist...

This approach is not perfect, of course. A friend of mine is trying to add
caching (instead of mmap) to Apache by simply adding his caching module on
the standard path of requests. As far as I know, the interface works fine,
but there are a few exceptions like caching cgi script output (when
desirable), etc.

> However, Apache is forking into a single process, squid is more complex
> as it is only one process....not trivial, I assume.

Not trivial, but still feasible. In most cases, _"logically"_ a client
request is processed in isolation from others if you hide the select()
loop.

Alex.

P.S. Should I add that supporting this "module concept" would probably be
easier with C++? :)