Re: Retrieving objects

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 00:07:09 -0700

Dancer writes:

>Okay. There's a couple objects in the cache. I know they're in there.
>They're in the cache log, and the thing hasn't filled up yet.
>
>Now, I've been asked to retrieve an object which was accidentally
>destroyed at the source for recovery. Well, three objects, actually.
>
>So. How do I figure out where the hell the damn things are so I can copy
>'em out and strip off the headers?

New FAQ entry:

http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-6.html#ss6.12

6.12 Retrieving ``lost'' files from the cache

       I've been asked to retrieve an object which was accidentally
       destroyed at the source for recovery. So, how do I figure out
       where the things are so I can copy them out and strip off the
       headers?

The following method applies only to the Squid-1.1 versions:

Use grep to find the named object (URL) in the cache/log file. The
first filed in this file is an integer file number.

Then, find the file fileno-to-pathname.pl from the ``scripts''
directory of the Squid source distribution. The usage is

        perl fileno-to-pathname.pl [-c squid.conf]

file numbers are read on stdin, and pathnames are printed on stdout.

Duane W.

--
wessels@nlanr.net                           Think Globally, Cache Locally.