Re: Fall down go boom..

From: Tom Minchin <>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 16:41:03 +1100 (EST)

> Anyone else seen this?
> Start squid...cache-index loads. Squid is ready to run.
> squid -k shutdown before any connections run to completion (or get made,
> perhaps).
> squid sits there, reporting that it's waiting for connections to shut
> down. (there aren't any)
> It seems like it will sit there forever. A second squid -k shutdown, and
> squid just mysteriously vanishes, leaving the cache-index in an
> undertermined (but useless) state.
> Next time you start, obviously, you are stuck with a slow rebuild.
> (about 128 minute is how long I have to wait for this particular one, if
> I did my math right. *sigh*)
> So..Anyone else seen this or been burned by it?

Usually it seems pretty smart about it. If there's no connections in progress,
it still says waiting 30 seconds, but shutdowns down immediately and writes
out the swaplog.

On a similar vein, has anyone written a shell script which does a clean
shutdown on Squid when a machine is shutdown? Obviously a kill -9 is the
fastests way to stop it, but guarantees about 8 hours of reload on 20 gig