Re: Summary of Transparent proxy/How-to

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 23:14:22 +0100

Erik T. Brandsberg wrote:

> The main drawback of this is that
> squid uses "http://123.123.123.123/url" for caching, thus sites with
> several IP addresses will get redundantly cached, reducing hit rates.
> Virtual configurations override the host header in the stock squid, thus
> it won't fill in the server name in the rewritten URL.

It is a very simple patch to change this. I submitted it to the list a
few days ago (I think). Switch the order of the "if (vhost_mode)" and
"if (opt_accel_uses_host..." blocks in src/icp.c:parseHttpRequest().

By doing this you give the Host: header higher precendence than the
virtual IP address, making Squid to use the Host: header if available,
and fall back to the server IP if not. (enable both virtual server
support, and "accel uses host" in squid.conf)

---
Henrik Nordström