Providing continuity of service during cache maintenance.

From: Michael James <michael.james@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 13:50:51 +1100

Could Squid be fitted with a command line flag to run in "dummy" mode;
 continuing to provide a proxy service but without caching?

We run Squid-1.1.18 on a Solaris 2.6 ultra. Direct access to port 80 off
campus is blocked.
Recently we had trouble with cache corruption and boobs were popping out of
normally staid sites.

With 7 Gig of cache it took time to flush it and would have taken much
longer to clean it.
(I estimate it costs us $100-$200 to loose the data so cleaning is interesting)

While I was rebuilding the main cache partition I started another squid
with a config file
 that gave it 20 Meg on another disk.
It would be easier to have a flag or interrupt to tell squid to run without
the cache partition.

Also ./squid -z is a gotcha as it builds the cache directory structure only
root writeable,
 and we run squid as daemon. This could be fixed by simply including a
warning in squid.conf
 near the "cache_effective_user" parameter.

michaelj