Re: Providing continuity of service during cache maintenance.

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 13:30:29 +1000

What I wouldn't mind seeing is the network layer of Squid decoupled from the
caching layer:

Essentially, by running it in two components, the cache-unit could be switched out,
or do other things (maintenance, cleanup, rebuild) while the network layer was
still passing requests through to parent(s). As a two-process setup
(squid-comms+squid-cache) we'd also wind up with a few extra file-descriptors to
play with, and each unit could be restarted independantly of the other (ease of
maintenance).

IMO, anyways. I don't see any holes in that offhand.

--
Note to evil sorcerers and mad scientists: don't ever, ever summon powerful
demons or rip holes in the fabric of space and time. It's never a good idea.