Re: transparent-proxy

From: John Taylor <taylor@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 08:55:05 -0800

Alteon's layer 2 gigabit ethernet switch can also be configured to do
limited layer 4 processing, ie, the forwarding decision is made with
the source or destination ip address AND layer 4 port number, not with
the destination MAC address. Useful for such things as distributing
the load among a group of servers or redirecting HTTP requests to a
cache farm. It is not routing.

Sys Admin writes:
> Just a note,
>
> Yes, a switch only looks at layer 2 info, port numbers are layer 3... and
> switches are layer 2 devices...but, You can buy a Cisco Catalyst 5500
> SWITCH and put in a RSP card... Route Switch Processor, a router on a
> card.. with this configuration, the box is a switch, that has a router on
> a card that does layer3 off of the backplane.

I won't argue the difference between a bridge and a switch, but port
numbers appear in the layer 4 header.

Gone are the days of just layer 2 switching.

John