Re: Squid won't start (cache_effective_user trouble)

From: Tom Minchin <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 10:25:46 +1100 (EST)

> Hello all,
>
> I have installed squid 1.1.18 on RedHat Linux 5.0. It dosn't want to
> start properly - it says I cannot run it as root unless I define
> cache_effective_user. Which is odd, because I have set
> cache_effective_user to user 'squid' which I newly created. It says
> following:

Hi,
        I have the same problem, but don't really have the skills to pore
over it with gdb (better people than me have tried and failed). A work
around is to make the squid binary setuid to whatever cache_effective_user
you have chosen. It will then run with a few complaints but fully functional.
The only limitation is that it won't run on a port less than 1024.
        It has something to do with glibc and it's implementation on RH5.

tom@interact.net.au