Average Object size (was: Re: Weird.... (1.19NOVM))

From: Amos Shapira <amos@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 11:15:51 +0200

squid-users-digest-request@nlanr.net wrote:
> Subject: Re: Weird.... (1.19NOVM)
> Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 08:19:19 +1000
> From: Dancer <dancer@brisnet.org.au>
> To: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@hem.passagen.se>,
> Squid Users <squid-users@nlanr.net>
>
> I'm curious about the average object size other people have. I've tested
> both our hub and leaf caches, and they all have 13K +/- 0.82K average
> object size.
>
> Anyone else want to email me some figures? I'll work up a quick summary,
> and we might be able to generate a FAQ entry on it.

Running the posted script on my 1Gb cache (small ISP, 1000 users,
about 150 modems) with squid 1.1.18 I get 13.73.

Sounds like lowering the average to 15K (i.e. a decrease of 25% in
average object size) would be reasonable.

BTW, I still have to restart squid every couple of days (done via
cron) to prevent it from becoming obese with memory (at least until
I get extra 192Mb of RAM).

Cheers,

--Amos

--
--Amos Shapira             | "Of course Australia was marked for
amos@gezernet.co.il        |  by the finest judges in England."