Re: Squid w/FreeBSD 2.2.5 DNS Fails

From: Jordyn A. Buchanan <jordyn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 17:21:03 -0500

At 3:22 AM -0500 12/24/97, Keith Heinemann wrote:
>> I am running Squid-1.1.18 and I get the same thing. Apparantly it looks
>> like FreeBSD 2.2.5 including -stable has a broken gethostbyname(). I am
>> wondering if there are any fixes for this or if anyone else has the same
>> problem and knows a work around.
>
>perhaps rebuilding bind would fix this? I'm not sure what ver FreeBSD
>uses (bind 4 of bind 8) but sources to both are available from
>http://www.isc.org/ . now might be a good time to apply the squid-dns-ttl
>hack patch mentioned in the FAQ- it runs great here under bind-4.9.6.

Actually, the problem has to do with the use of the resolv library. For
some reason, linking squid with this library doesn't work under FreeBSD
2.2.X, or at least not for some people. (You could read the FreeBSD
archives, I believe, for some information about this situation.)

After you run configure, just go into src/Makefile and lib/Makefile to
remove the -lresolv from the XTRA_LIBS line.

It would be nice if Configure could be convinced to ingore the presence of
libresolv.a for FreeBSD 2.2.X systems. (This may apply to the 3.0/-CURRENT
branch of FreeBSD as well...) I'm not sure whether or not the FreeBSD port
suffers from this problem as well, but I have some vague memory about that
working okay whereas simply downloading and installing squid would not.
The downside is that I like putting squid stuff in /usr/local/squid,
whereas the FreeBSD port wants to dump it straight into the /usr/local
hierarchy.

Jordyn

|Jordyn A. Buchanan mailto:jordyn@bestweb.net |
|Bestweb Corporation http://www.bestweb.net |
|Senior System Administrator +1.914.271.4500 |