Re: Wrapping Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 02:16:19 +0100

Chuck Pitre wrote:

> Before I venture into this, is there any known problems booting squid in
> the inetd.conf (FreeBSD 2.2.5) and wrapping it with TCP wrappers???
> (probably a stupid question.. but thought I'd ask it anyway.)

A couple.

1. Squid is a standalone daemon, and does not support being started from
inetd, not even in "wait" mode. Ant it requires quite a bit of work on
both startup and shutdown.

2. Due to the nature of the design of Squid, it has to keep running
handling future requests. If you need a small one-shot proxy to wrap in
TCP-wrappers then use for example HTTP-GW from TIS Toolkit. I guess that
httpgw should be quite easy to adopt as a frontend to a Squid server
thought, where the httpgw uses the squid server as a parent proxy on
localhost (yes, you can bind the squid server to localhost).

---
Henrik Nordström