Re: Proxying Real-Audio

From: Walter Klomp <walter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 11:34:06 +0800

Hi Guys,

At 01:06 PM 12/30/97 +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>mikep@comshare.com said:
>} Progressive Networks implemented an application-layer proxy for
>} RealAudio using the TIS Firewall Toolkit. I'm running it on my
>} system, and it works just fine. Check www.realaudio.com and browse
>} through the links to locate the source code.

Can't find it ... :-(

>} Newer versions of the RAplayer will work through HTTP proxies, which
>} would allow Squid to cache the clips.
>
>In general this is not true.
>
>There is a very restricted way of using RA which would allow squid to
>cache the files, but people don't use that mode.
>
>As for squid proxying RA, it shouldn't. squid should do a great job of
>proxy/caching www content. It should not do a mediocre job of providing
>general firewall functionality.

My aim is not Firewall functionality. My aim is to alleviate my slow link
to the internet by also caching .ra or .ram files which Realaudio uses...
and also use the proxy-network to find the absolute fastest way to the
source when connecting to a live server.

Is that possible somehow ?

>The RA firewall proxy kit is available from progressive networks. Its a
>good set of documentation plus a couple of examples, and is sufficient to
>write a proxy - that documentation is what I used to produce the Linux IP
>masq code. It is not sufficient to write a cache function - that would
>require a better knowledge of the control protocol and also something
>about the data protocol (which you need not know about for the proxy
>functions). PN do not give that data away - I wish luck to anyone
>attempting to reverse engineer that protocol info :-)

Where do I find this information ?

Thanks

Walter
Walter Klomp,
Systems Manager / Administrator (Internet)
Swiftech Automation Pte. Ltd.
25 Kallang Avenue #05-04, Kallang Basin Ind. Est.
Singapore 339416
Tel. 274 4722 ext. 163 - Fax. 274 4966
e-mail: walter@swiftech.net.sg
http://www.swiftech.net.sg
= Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot. =
=== i souport publik edekasion... ===