Re: squid ip cache or local named?

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:37:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Dirk Vleugels wrote:

> does anyone what's the better solution: Using squid's ip caching
> or installing a local named 8.1.1 ?

With my connection-retry patch, I get an extremely high IP cache hit rate.
Out of 1,012,439 requests so far, I have 9,545 misses.

This is due to the fact that if a site is not reachable or refuses a
connection, it is not purged from the cache but rather marked "BAD", so
that it can be retried later if necessary. The only way an address drops
out of the cache is if its TTL expires.

        -Mike Pelletier.