Re: msie problem

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:24:43 -0500 (EST)

The problem is that MSIE doesn't have internal icons for FTP file types.
Netscape does (albeit ugly ones). Squid can be set to remap all those icon
names to something that points where you want. My "big" squid box is set
up to point all the icon URLs to one of my webservers like this:

ftpget_options -p http://unix0.waveform.net/img/ftp-icons/ -s .gif
                  This is the URL where the icons are

I stuck the Apache icons at that URL and changed their names so that they
match what MSIE expects to see (which I believe are the old CERN icon
names). If you want to swipe my icons with the pre-changed names (for most
of the formats, anyway), go ahead. The "ftpget_options" line needs to go
in your squid.conf somewhere.

Note that this will only work on FTP sites that DO NOT climb the
hierarchy. Since I have a lot of users using Macro$pend's IE, I set my
squid to not climb the hierarchy for FTP so that I wouldn't have to hear
complaints. Eventually I'll write the lines of code for my redirector so
that I can have FTP climb the hierarchy again, but I havn't had time to do
that yet.

        -Bill