commBind and "can't assign requested address" error

From: John P. Pagano <jpagano@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 21:03:24 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

Squid seems to be running in a stable manner. When I try to proxy an
actual http request, however, my squid process outputs the following
error:

[ .. ] commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 26 to 208.28.204.1:0: (49) Can't
     assign requested address

208.28.204.1 is the IP address of the gateway I was assigned by my ISP.
That is the address I entered in the tcp_outgoing_address tag entry in my
squid.conf file. Is that the wrong place to put that IP address?

The error my client browser returns is also interesting:

"Out of file descriptors"

which means that

"the cache is very busy"

How can that be accurate? I'm the only one trying to use the cache.

Thanks for your help.

--
John P. Pagano
jpagano@allegro.cs.tufts.edu