Re: squid 1.1.20 receives non-existant SIGHUP on FreeBSD 2.2.2R

From: Jordyn A. Buchanan <jordyn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 12:32:20 -0500

At 1:53 PM -0800 1/20/98, Jaye Mathisen wrote:
>I've run squids 1.16, 1.18->1.20 under a variety of versions of FreeBSD,
>with loads of about 30-40k URL's/hour, and it works just fine.
>
>You sure you don't have a cron job for log rotation, or something else
>restarting that thing?

At last! Confirmation that I'm not going crazy. I'm also seeing this
exact same behavior (under squid 1.16->1.20). We spent a *long* time
trying to track down the problem (basically turning off cron for a while to
make sure there was no secret periodic job that was causing the problem,
running squid in the foreground rather than the background to see if some
secret error message was printed, searching the archives for anyone
experieincing a similar problem, etc...) All of this came to naught and we
just eventually gave up and made a cron job that runs every couple of
minutes and restarts squid if it's dead. This is (IMHO) not a good
solution at all, but for a while I thought we were the only one with the
problem.

Does anyone have insight into what would be causing this?

Jordyn

>On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Adam W. Dace wrote:
>
>> I'm not exactly sure why this is happening, but it just happened while
>> our IS team was out to lunch. So either someone's hacked us -just- to
>> play with squid(doubtful), or squid is somehow receiving signals that it
>> shouldn't be.
>>
>> This from squid_cache.log:
>>
>> 1998/01/20 13:56:24| reconfigure: SIGHUP received
>> 1998/01/20 13:56:24| Waiting 30 seconds for active connections to finish
>> 1998/01/20 13:56:24| FD 21 Closing HTTP connection
>>
>> The real reason I'm writing is for a suggested version to run. Anyone
>> know of a version past 1.1.10 which runs stably on FreeBSD 2.2.2R? I've
>> already talked to a fellow FBSD user, and he suggests 1.1.10, which I'll
>> be downgrading to tonight. Our squid proxy handles roughly 20 people,
>> and I've grown tired of hearing users yell when it goes down
>> approximately once a day.
>>
>> I also wanted to thank the squid authors for a wonderful product, we use
>> it every day, and now that it has enough memory to effectively run
>> happily, it's quite speedy as well.
>>
>> Have a good one, and thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Adam W. Dace (AD332) | E-Mail: awd@fastparts.com
>> Software Programmer | Office URL: http://www.fastparts.com/
>> FastParts, Inc. | Personal URL: http://www.turing.com/awd/

|Jordyn A. Buchanan mailto:jordyn@bestweb.net |
|Bestweb Corporation http://www.bestweb.net |
|Senior System Administrator +1.914.271.4500 |